Creating Positive Declarations



The past has no power over you.
It’s over.
Now live solely in the present.



Easier said than done for CSA Survivors, right?
Browsing through social media, you can see how popular and engaging posts are that encourage, affirm, and motivate us to look at ourselves & our world differently.  Negativity and even depression detour healing from my own childhood sexual abuse.  To “live solely in the present”, I need to remain focused and positive.  Often, I am my own worst enemy.  One way that helps me remain focused is by creating my own Positive Declaration.  

creating positive declarations healing from abuse
What are Positive Declarations?  These are sentences you use to remind yourself of something positive about yourself or your future.  There are 5 categories that I use.
  1. Work
  2. Family
  3. Personal
  4. Physical
  5. Spiritual
Healing from childhood sexual abuse is complicated & takes time.  Just when I think I’ve cleared some hurdle in the process, I’m tripped up.  Around 1997, I had a “sit-down” with my parents, my husband and myself.  The purpose was to “let the cat out of the bag”, so to speak, about the sexual contact my father had with me, and its effects.  In other words, I told my mother all about the blow jobs that I was giving him, how & when he would rub my breasts, and the time(s) he would have intercourse with me.  A psychologist that I was seeing discussed the option of this “sit-down” to help me move on in my recovery. 

          My Story .. Family of Secrets and the Silence of a Lamb 

For years I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety; even after confronting both my parents about the sexual abuse.  At times, I feel like I’m on a roller coaster ride that never stops.  There are many things that I do to try to make it through another “low”.  I enjoy graphic design and creating something positive to share with others.  That’s where my Positive Declarations come in.  I pump-fist my spoken words and declare that I’m a Survivor.  Wow!  That feels so good! 

These are the steps that you can use to create your own
Positive Declarations

·       Put a list together of
Positive Quotes
Faith-based Sentences
Words you would tell your “younger self”
·       Assign each phrase or quote to a category
Work
Family
Personal
Physical
Spiritual
·       When writing the declaration use present tense
I am
I love
I have
I can
I believe
·       Write your positive declaration
on a 3x5 card
in a notebook or journal
Create a graphic design (picture quote)
Use a Pick Me Up Jar

Finally, to change our attitude about ourselves, we need to say the declaration out loud.  Read it. Write it.  Speak it.  REPEAT.  This is a process.  Change won’t happen overnight.


Remaining positive in our healing journey can be difficult.  But there are things that we can do to help the process along.  I find that seeing a beautiful photo with a great quote or encouraging faith-based words works for me.  That’s why I try to fill my social media feeds with positive pages & friends.  Not to say that I don’t enter the darkness of negativity and depression.  I have my battles too.  Bringing beauty & surrounding myself with positive declarations helps in my healing journey.  I believe that positive declarations can help you too. 

past has no power live solely in present
To heal from trauma & abuse, we need to set our sights on the journey before us.  Staying focused, speaking words of encouragement, and affirming positive accomplishments we’ve made on our journey, will motivate us to look at ourselves & our world differently. 

Start putting your Positive Declarations together TODAY.
Write them down.
Speak them OUT LOUD. 

I’ve shared words of encouragement on my Facebook Page. 
Now I want to hear from you.  Share your positive declarations by
  1. Commenting on this post or
  2. Contact Me privately

The past has no power over you.  It’s over.
Now live solely in the present. 

The storm has passed. See the rainbow?
It’s beautiful. Life is beautiful.
And you are beautiful too.
© IAMicried
Visions of Rainbows
5/31/2013

Comments

Popular Posts