Pity Party – Don’t Attend The Event


if you have time to whine
If you have time to whine and complain about something
then you have the time to do something about it.
~ Anthony J. D’Angelo

People say, “Timing is everything.”  Plan for this, plan for that. What if things happen in our lives where the timing may not be good?  Then we whine and complain. The big “Pity Party” begins.  As for me, an Adult Survivor of Incest & Child Sexual Abuse, I’ve become very good at these parties. But what is this next chapter for me and why am I NOT having a “Pity Party”??

pity party time
I have struggled with employment and my value/worth for years. As long as I had a job, my mental health stabilized a bit.  When I became unemployed, I’d take it very personal. I had failed. I wasn’t worth it. Life wasn’t worth it. And so, the “Pity Party” would begin.  But on 12/31/2014 (just days short of 90 days on the job), as I lay at home sick with severe bronchitis, my employer called to tell me that I was no longer needed and was terminated.  My world came to a crashing halt again.  But, there was only a very brief “Pity Party”.  Why??   The timing

Shortly before this happened, I was given the name of an attorney who handles disability cases.  Many people have told me over the years that with my physical and mental conditions, I should consider filing for benefits.  So, after being terminated, I made the call.  Suddenly, my future didn’t look so grim. Suddenly, I was dreaming about “My Next Chapter” and what I wanted it to look like. Suddenly the weight of “my worthlessness” was lifted from my shoulders. I felt free! 

I could have whined & complained “Oh woe is me!”  But I chose to do something about it. My guess is that 2015 will be a difficult and challenging year for me and my husband.  The timing of this next chapter may not be the best.  But as an Adult Survivor of Incest, I’ve had very few times in my life that I could dream. 

next time you feel a pity party beginningThe next time you feel a “Pity Party” beginning, don’t attend the event.  Stop, reflect.  There may be a rainbow not far from sight. 


The storm has passed. See the rainbow?
It’s beautiful. Life is beautiful.
And you are beautiful too.
© IAMicried
Visions of Rainbows
5/31/2013

Comments

Popular Posts