The Strength & Courage of One Survivor



Wow, what strength! What courage!  

I just read a story about a woman’s journey into the police station to report her childhood sexual abuse & making a police statement to report her step-father.  As I read each word on the screen, it was as if I was right there with her.  I could feel her pain, panic, and trembling body.  I understood her self-doubt. 

Osho the roar of freedom
Fear and the Roar of Freedom
It is terribly frightening for Survivors to tell “Their Story”.  I never reported my father for the sexual abuse. But that doesn’t mean I never thought about doing just that.  I personally think that it takes “the arms of Jesus” to carry a child (or an adult) through the process of bringing charges against a parent for the abuse they suffered.  I’m not trivializing the strength of others who file reports against non-family members.  I only know about incest, my father, years of hypervigilance and silence about what was happening.  

Each time my father would walk into a room where I was, he would make it a point to brush up against my breasts with his hands. My skin crawls just remembering it.  Over & over again. Day after day.  Anytime my husband does the same thing, I become a robot slapping his hand faster than a person can blink. Sometimes I don’t even realize that I’ve hit him.

When I see a man licking his lips as he eyes a voluptuous woman, I want to throw up.  My father made those same expressions toward me at a young age.  When I became interested in boys and dating as a teenager, my father routinely called me a slut.  BUT IT WAS OK FOR HIM TO RAM HIS COCK IN MY MOUTH & SHOOT HIS LOAD.  My inner child is silently screaming.  Memories are flooding my body.

There is a special kind of courage for a child or adult to make a police report of sexual abuse against a parent.  Imagine walking through fire KNOWING you will get burned.  There’s no place to run, but you know what must be done.  Will anyone be there on the other side welcoming you for going through the flames?  You have already been through so much pain. How much more can you take?  When does the madness end? 

My father passed away last year at the age of 88.  I’ll admit it; I struggle with the feelings of love/hate for him.  After all, he was my father.  As I write this tears begin to fall down my cheeks.  One difficult part of dealing with sexual abuse by a parent is the feeling of being unloved.  A father (or mother) should love their children.  Every child is a precious gift from God, and should be loved & cherished as such.  NOT as a sexual toy for their own distorted pleasure. 

A child should never have to go through what this woman, who walked into the police station, went through. The emotional pain of sexual abuse lessens with time. But it NEVER completely goes away.  Doing the right thing, reporting the abuse to the authorities, telling Your Story; is the BEST thing a Survivor can do for “the child” of yesterday.

Blessings to all Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse


The storm has passed. See the rainbow?
It’s beautiful. Life is beautiful.
And you are beautiful too.
© IAMicried
Visions of Rainbows
5/31/2013

Comments

Popular Posts