Christmas Blessings

Merry Christmas

 “I am not alone at all, I thought. I was never alone at all. And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent. For this is still the time God chooses.”
- Taylor Caldwell (September 7, 1900 – August 30, 1985) was an Anglo-American novelist and prolific author

Another year is about to come to a close.  Time lost, time forgotten.  Where did it go?  Where is the holiday joy?  My husband and I will spend it alone, again.  We both have parents and siblings, nieces and nephews we could share the holidays with.  But in dysfunctional families, that time spent together just sucks the joy and happiness right out of the season. 

Today is Christmas Eve.  Over the past several weeks I’ve been fighting with myself to get into the holiday spirit.  For many, this time of year is very difficult.  All the pressures of so much to do, not enough time.  And let’s not forget about all the reminders via radio, tv, family and friends that “It’s The Most Wonderful Time of Year”. 

blessings


So why do I NOT feel happy?  Maybe I need to count my blessings. I’m blessed with two children and two grand-children & a loving husband. I’m blessed with many freedoms that others around the world do not have.  Freedom to speak what I think & believe.  Freedom to live in secure, peaceful, and prosperous country.  Freedom to make my own choices as to my future.  Freedom to love & be loved by others.  Freedom to worship God the Father, Son & Holy Ghost openly and without fear from government.

What a wonderful thing it is to have children.  I remember how happy I was to discover I was pregnant.  To know there was SOMEONE growing inside me.  Not knowing if it was a boy or girl.  My children have given my life  meaning, purpose.  As they grew up, everything I did seemed to be because of their existence.  I made sure they had place to lay their sleepy heads, food & drink to satisfy their needs, loving arms & kisses to comfort them, and encouragement to reach for the stars.  I was not and AM NOT perfect when raising my children.  But I think I did the best I could with the abilities and resources available to me.  I’m not wealthy and many times we didn’t have much for birthdays & Christmas.  It hurt to see disappointment in their eyes.  Now they are grown.  They made it through.  We all did.  Now my joy is in their loving arms around ME, telling me “Thank You” for all I’ve done for them in their lives.  Its funny how they remember things so differently than I do.

My two grandchildren are the closest things to angels in heaven that I have here on earth.  Both boys, 2 yr old and 11 mo old.  I’ve only seen them two different times in their short lives.  They live thousands of miles away and their father (my son) doesn’t get much time to get away for a visit here.  My husband & I can’t afford trips to visit them.  Pictures on walls capture moments in time.  I can only hope & dream of days when I will know them as I know my own children.  What they like, don’t like.  How they feel.  What they think.  And what they dream.  Oh, to be a REAL part of their life. 
I Am Blessed
Blessings, I have many.  Yet I forget. The greatest of all, is the blessing of Love from The Father.  Not my physical biological father. But from my spiritual, heavenly Father.  He loved me from  the very beginning. And no matter what, continues to bless me.  The loneliness, the unhappiness will all pass when I count my blessings and replace the emptiness with the love & joy God feels for me as his own  child. 

May the spirit of Christmas bring you peace,
The gladness of Christmas give you hope,
The warmth of Christmas grant you love.

Merry Christmas and a Blessed 2013 to all !!!

Comments

Popular Posts