INCEST, The Ultimate Taboo


As Survivors of sexual abuse, we are told time and again, to tell our stories.
As children, we are told; tell someone if you are being touched inappropriately.  But what if the abuse is INCEST? How do we, as children, reach out for help? How do we tell someone?

Incest Sexual Assault Incest is the ultimate taboo.  One judge stated “Incest, by its very nature, is a major sexual assault," he said. "It violates a fundamental foundation of our society."  Wow! Someone finally understands. 

I was molested by my father as a child for several years. I did not tell anyone that could help me (teacher, pastor, counselor, friends’ parents, or any other adult). Growing up, I thought I was special.  I thought he loved me more than the others in the family.  I thought this was normal.  But as I got older (sometime in high school) I realized that what was happening was NOT normal.  What was happening DID NOT happen in every family.  Thinking about it now, I feel the creepy crawly sensation of his hands on me and I want to get them off. 

Of all the abuse, physical, mental, emotional, and sexual; INCEST is the most painful and most damaging abuse of all (in my opinion).  BUT no one wants to talk about it.  In many cultures incest is acceptable and an accepted way of life.  Ugh! That just makes my skin crawl.  

As a child, I trusted my father. I turned to him when I was scared. I asked him questions about life.  I believed he knew all the answers. And later, as an adult, when I finally told my therapist about what my father did to me; I discovered that my childhood was filled with lies, deception, and secrets.  Everything I believed came crashing down all around me.  Trust, betrayal, anger, hatred... such intense feelings of hatred for him that I can’t put into words. 

Why do we as a society hide behind this taboo?  Incest and the curtain of silence need to be exposed for what it is... “It violates a fundamental foundation of our society”.  It is destroying our families. By continuing to hide behind this CURTAIN OF SILENCE, we are condoning the abuse and we will NOT survive or heal.  By NOT opening the curtain of silence about incest, we are destroying children’s lives.  Abusers must be stopped.  We must speak up about childhood INCEST.

Open your eyes, as well as open your mouths.  Incest is a silent destroyer of everything good and beautiful in life.  Our children.

Comments

Popular Posts