POEM - GRAY-HAIRED OL' MAN

gray haired ol' man poem

I have a picture
that sits on a table.
A smiling, gray-haired ol’ man.
On one side his wife,
the other, his first-born Great-grandson.

Why do you smile & laugh ol’ Man?
Have you lost your mind?
The boy next to you shows no fear.
All laughing for the camera.       
Joy fills the hearts captured for a moment in time.

But joy was not always there.
I remember this couch, this living room,
this home, these people.
One is my Mother, the other “The Beast” of my youth.
My Father

I wish I did not know “The Beast”
I wish I did, though,
Know My Father.
Who is this ol’ Man?  What is HIS story?
Many questions I have. So much to say.

Hurt, pain, feelings a child is not ready to feel.
Why, ol’ Man, did you take away my innocence?
Why did you rob me of my youth?
The Love you showed me, Ol’ Man, was for my Mother
yet, your hands, lips, have devoured me.

I will never know the reasons why.
“The Beast” and ol’ Man now at rest.
No longer can they touch me.
No longer can they kiss me.

I have a picture
that sits on a table.
A smiling gray-haired ol’ man.


Gray-haired ol’ man
Poem written by 
©IAMicried 7/15/2015





Comments

Popular Posts