5 Reasons For Healing From Sexual Abuse


Going “Cold Turkey” and quitting smoking is a smokers’ dream (or nightmare depending on how you look at it).  But I had no choice. 

On February 9, 2015 I was hospitalized with difficulty breathing (again!).  After some tests it was determined that I had a partially collapsed lung.  Boy!  If that doesn’t put a scare into someone, I don’t know what does.  After 3 days of hospitalization and another 10 days of antibiotics, breathing exercises, & plenty of rest; I realized that I hadn’t had a cigarette since it all began. 
                                      
quit thinking just do what needs to be done
Well, that was 6 months ago.  I’m still FREE from cigarettes and my smoking habit.  My point is .. Anything is possible if we QUIT thinking so much and just DO what needs to be done.

I’ve quit smoking many times in the past.  So why is this time different?  I stopped looking at the struggle I would go through to quit AND JUST DID IT.  I was “scared straight”.  As a Survivor of sexual abuse, I tend to over-think situations.  For example, my recovery. 
Many times I’ve said to myself ..
  • It’s too hard
  • It takes too long
  • I relapsed and feel like a victim again


One thing I’m learning is that when I QUIT focusing on the process and focus on THE REASON WHY I need to heal, then it isn’t so bad.  It is easier than you think.  Yes, there are stumbling blocks.  Yes, I fall back into depression.  Yes, it takes time (30+ years and counting). 

Here’s MY list of

THE REASONS WHY I NEED TO HEAL

·         The abuse happened many years ago
·         My abuser can no longer hurt anyone.  He has died.
·         Many, many people care about me
·         I truly want & need to be happy and enjoy life
·         It’s not HEALTHY to hold onto the pain from my childhood


Enjoying my life as a Survivor and helping others STAND STRONG & feel encouraged makes it all worthwhile.  Life is too short. I’m not getting any younger.  I’m expecting my 5th grand-child later this year.  I don’t want to be known as the Grandma who never smiled. 

I shared my “Reasons” for healing from Sexual Abuse.  What are your reasons?  After you put your list together, then QUIT thinking.  Just do the work!  Remember, You Are A SURVIVOR!


I’d love to hear from you.  Won’t you share with me your “Reasons For Healing from Sexual Abuse”?


The storm has passed. See the rainbow?
It’s beautiful. Life is beautiful.
And you are beautiful too.
© IAMicried
Visions of Rainbows
5/31/2013

Comments

Popular Posts