STRANGER DANGER - What aren’t we telling our children?

Yesterday my husband & I attended our grandson’s 3rd birthday party. It was a beautiful early fall day (leaves had not started changing colors yet).  Adults were sitting around discussing different topics and filling-in each other on what’s been going on since we’ve last been together.  Five children, ages 3 yrs to 7 yrs old, were playing in a park across the parking lot from the apartment complex.  They were playing on the swings, digging in the sand, sliding down a slide, and climbing a jungle gym. Doing all the things kids do when they haven’t seen their cousins in a few weeks.

One of the adults questioned where all the kids were. Oh, they’re playing at the park. Next, the discussion moved on to “Well, is anyone with them?” “No, the kids are just right there.” said one adult pointing in the direction of the playground.  No one could see the kids because of the vehicles parked in the parking lot, but we all knew they were there because we could hear them.  Then the question came up “What about someone taking one of them? Shouldn’t an adult be with them?”. “No because we’ve discussed ‘stranger danger’ with our son. He’s okay. He knows what to do” another adult said.

stranger danger
Stranger Danger

We talk with our children and drill-it into their heads about “stranger danger”; but how do we prepare our children when the “danger” is their own parent?

Safe Touching vs. Unsafe Touching
We tell our children what is safe touching and unsafe touching. But when the violator is your parent, the child gets mixed feelings.  At least I did when my father was molesting me.  I grew up thinking that this was how fathers show their daughters how much they love them. Being molested meant being loved. I remember going to school events with my children. They were being told to be very cautious around strangers.  They were never told that “their grandfather” could be touching them inappropriately.

The Sympathy Rule & The Attractive Rule
I didn’t realize that my father drew upon my emotions. One day, he told me the reason he made a purchase.  “I bought the motor home because you said you liked it” Dad said. He bought a camper because I liked it.  What else did he do because I said I liked it? I can remember feeling like I was “His Favorite”.  And he often told me that, too, when we were alone. Dad always had Brach’s red & white peppermint candies.  “You like candy. I’ll give you one of these, if you do this to me.” Dad would say.  There was always a reward. 

No Secrets
I tried raising my kids so that they could always come to me and tell me anything.  I would sit with my daughter and we could talk about whatever would come up in the conversation. During those moments, I made it a point to not lie about what she would ask me.  I thought honesty & willingness to listen would keep my child safe. I thought I would develop a close relationship with her.  I don’t remember important conversations like that with my parents.  In our family, we had “secrets”.  Dad used to tell me NOT to tell because people would send him to jail & the family would be torn apart; not to mention all the pain it would cause my mother. So much guilt placed on a child just to keep “daddy’s little secret”.

What to do
When telling our children about “stranger danger”, we explain what to do. Tell your parents. Well, that was exactly what my father told me NOT to do. Now what? I could tell an adult at school. But then they would have to tell my parents. Not an option. I could tell a police officer. But then they would arrest my dad and our family would be torn apart. Not an option. I ended up doing the only thing I could. I kept “the secret”. I kept doing what we shouldn’t have been doing.  I was in high school, home alone with dad one day, and I said “This is wrong. I won’t do this anymore.” (Or something like that).

I don’t remember the last time I performed oral sex on my father. That was so many years ago and pretty traumatic for me. But I do remember what my father said about my dating other boys my age. I remember how dad made me feel as I started taking an interest in boys, dating, & having sex. I even remember how disinterested both my parents were when I brought my boyfriend home for dinner. My boyfriend asked my father “for my hand in marriage”. Dad said “Don’t just take the hand. Take the whole thing. And I’ll give you $100 if you’ll elope.” It wasn’t much of a blessing. They never gave me a wedding. Yes, my boyfriend and I got married. His family helped with most all of the planning. My parents never attended the wedding.  I was their oldest; their first born. They never came to my wedding. Even today, this fact still upsets me.

The point
When we are teaching our children about “stranger danger”, don’t assume anything. It is not our children’s responsibility. WE are the parents.  We should be watching them in the parks. We should be holding meaningful honest conversations with them on a regular basis. It is OUR responsibility to know what is going on in our child’s life. It is our responsibility to raise healthy, safe, well-adjusted children.  This is how we end the cycle of sexual abuse. Not just by telling them about “stranger danger” and then believing that we have done our job as a parent.  Sexual abuse can & does happen in the home to children by their own parents. We need to teach our children that unsafe touching & emotional manipulation can come from a parent or other family member. We must stop the sexual abuse of our children by recognizing this fact. 


Open your eyes, as well as open your mouths.  Incest is a silent destroyer of everything good and beautiful in life.  Our children.


Comments

Popular Posts