ANXIETY OF FAMILY GATHERINGS



Family gatherings always seem to cause me anxiety.  Everyone in the family knows what my father did to me.  Each of them have their own thoughts on the subject.  Mostly, no one talks about it now.  That is the past.  I’ve dealt with facing the truth, acknowledging the pain, confronting my father and explaining everything to my mother.  But for some reason, when we get together for birthdays, anniversaries, or holidays, I become so anxious that I have problems sleeping, nightmares return, and my mood changes.

For example, my Son, his wife and their two boys are coming to visit from out-of-state.  They will only be here for couple of days.  There is a family BBQ being planned so everyone in the family can get together.  No problem. It’s what we do.  But I can’t stop thinking about family gatherings that we’ve had over the years. 

The day my Son got married.  It was a beautiful day, very hot, and very exciting for me.  I hadn’t seen my Son for a couple years.  I couldn’t wait to see him.  Had never met his bride.  Wondered what she was like and if we’d become friends.  She was (is) beautiful inside and out.  I had been on the “outs” with my mother and brothers & sister.  So was very anxious about how the reception would be.  Yes, there were tears.  Mom never fails to surprise me with her judgments and painful words.  Always criticizing and hateful.  Sometimes it is just a look.  She doesn’t have to say anything.  Not sure what she said to me that day at the reception, but off I ran, crying.  I knew it wasn’t going to be easy.  But why should it be easy?  I was (am) the daughter who disappoints everyone.  I was (am) the one who sent her Son to go live with his father because I didn’t want him to hate me or blame me for the divorce.  How could a mother give up a child like that.  Thus, it kept my mother from enjoying time (years) with her grandson.  I’ve never amounted to much. I’m not successful.  I’m not wealthy (always have had financial problems).  I’ve struggled and struggled JUST TO BE. 

Boy, how time flies. Flash forward to next week. Two grandsons and the third on his way in November (2015).  I am so thankful to see my Son and his wonderful family again.  Another family gathering.  Things are a little different this time.  I’ve been talking and doing things with my 2 brothers and my mother.  Working on our relationships and deciding what type that will be.  Painful as it is, I’m glad to have them in my life.  My sister and I – well, that is another story.  I’m not so sure we can have a healthy relationship.  I remember what went wrong.  

It was the day when I was voicing my opinion about my mother during a previous visit from my Son & his family. SEE POST Forgive and Forget - Battles of the Heart  Wow! That was 3 years ago! She hung up on me on the phone.  I still feel the rage that I had.  How dare she?!? Like she hasn’t complained about Mom.  Oh, but wait, she is the “good” daughter. She is the “successful” daughter.  She has never been a thorn in my mother’s side.  She reeks of perfection.

How will this gathering go? Same as the rest.  Lots of drinking.  Few laughs.  And big sighs of relief once we get into our cars and pull out of the driveway on our way home. So much still needs to be said.  So much pain needs to heal.  So many more tears need to be shed. 

Do I have anxiety about getting together with my family? Yes!
Do I cry and have sleepless nights full of nightmares? YES!
Do I have the strength to embrace my dysfunctional family? 
OH HELL YES!
Because I know who I am, I know what I’ve endured, and I know that I am loved. Yes, loved, by my husband of 17 years; by my children; and by my grand-children.  The past is the past.  But my eyes are focusing on the future.

Hope is
“Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness” ~ Desmond Tutu









The storm has passed. See the rainbow?
It’s beautiful. Life is beautiful.
And you are beautiful too.
© IAMicried
Visions of Rainbows
5/31/2013


Comments

Popular Posts