My September Rainbow

Hard to believe another Labor Day weekend is upon us. Wow! Where did the summer go?  Looking back, I think it wasn’t long enough.  Not enough fun.  Not enough laughter.  Not enough time spent with friends.  Not enough time spent with (wait for it!) F A M I L Y. 

There it is; the dreaded word family.  What can I say?!  Labor Day should be a time of fun, laughter, warm hugs, cool drinks, and Family. I won’t be seeing mine this year.  The only ones staying in touch with me since July have been my Son (& his family) and my Daughter.  As for the rest of my immediate family.. ah, not sure how they are doing these days.  The last family gathering, on July 21st, my husband & I left kind of abruptly.  I had one of “my moments”. 

During the family gathering, (in honor of my Son & my two grandsons who were visiting from out-of-state, see also Anxiety Of Family Gatherings ), I began feeling like
  • the “black sheep” of the family
  • the couple from the “other-side of the tracks”
  • I was a failure
  • I was invisible 

I could go on & on & on.  I love my Son, his wife, and my two grandsons; but when you put them all together with the rest of my dysfunctional family, it is a nightmare.  The emotional pain I felt was unbearable. I felt like the longer that I spent at the reunion, the less I could breath.  The life was being sucked right out of me.  I had to make it stop.  

Finally, I got up out of my chair, said it was getting late, time for my Husband & I to call it a night, and head home.  As my Husband said our “goodbyes”, I headed to the car. I wasn’t going to stick around and turn it into a 20 minute ordeal. You know .. the hugs, kisses, thank you for dinner, “thank you for coming” and blah blah blah.  Empty words between adults going through cordial motions.  All the politeness with all the syrup to go with it.  Ugh!  Gag me with a spoon! (one of my favorite sayings). 

I’m looking forward to this Labor Day weekend. Yes, I am.  No family gathering. No emotional meltdown in sight. My husband & I will be spending time with friends & neighbors who welcome us with the “warmth” and “love” that my family lacks.  Oh, boy, I can smell the BBQ grill now! I can hear the laughter.  The sounds & aroma draw me in.  I can’t get away from it.  Suddenly I feel happy, silly, young again. 
labor day BBQ friends and family 
I hope you can spend some time this holiday weekend with those that fill your soul with joy, laughter, and love.  At my age I’m learning that LIFE really is too short.  There’s another stressful holiday coming up soon (I won’t mention which one!). So let Labor Day weekend be one filled with beautiful memories.  Say goodbye to summer & hello to autumn.  Enjoy the beauty of life.  

Autumn is a second spring
when every leaf is a flower.
~ Albert Camus 

Wishing you a “rainbow-filled” Labor Day weekend! 
(without all the rain)

The storm has passed. See the rainbow?
It’s beautiful. Life is beautiful.
And you are beautiful too.
© IAMicried
Visions of Rainbows
5/31/2013

Comments

Popular Posts